An all-new design, the 2011 Touareg’s design echoes the styling of Volkswagen's current range, with Golf-esque headlamps and crisper styling.
The new Touareg is also larger than the previous model, with a 50mm longer wheelbase and 144mm longer overall length.
Interior space has grown, and standard equipment will include Bluetooth integration, colour MFDs, regenerative braking and a fuel-saving start-stop feature.
Three engines will be initially offered: a 3.6 litre petrol V6 with 206kW and 360Nm in the Touareg V6 FSI, a 3.0 litre turbodiesel V6 with 150kW and 400Nm in the Touareg 150TDI and a 3.0 litre turbodiesel V6 with 176kW and 550Nm in the Touareg V6 TDI.
All models will be equipped with an eight-speed automatic, which also brings a tiptronic function and sports shift mode.
Two drivetrains are available - a conventional 4Motion all-wheel drive with Torsen limited-slip differential, and a more off-roadable 4XMotion 4WD system with 100 percent lockable centre and rear differentials, plus a dual-range transfer case.
Curiously, while initial imports will be of 2011 model-year Touaregs, an early-cycle update will arrive just a few months later.
Specification levels won’t change with the transition between MY11 and MY12, however output from the V6 TDI engine will rise from 176kW to 180kW, and average fuel economy falls from 7.6 l/100km to 7.4 l/100km.
Power and torque remain the same for the 150TDI, while average fuel consumption drops to 7.2 l100km.
Standard safety equipment on all models will include stability control, traction control, ABS, EBD, brake assist, hill hold assist, hill descent assist and nine airbags.
Pricing starts from $62,990 for the 150TDI, stretching to $82,990 for the V6 TDI 4XMotion.
- Touareg 150TDI - 8-speed automatic - $62,990
- Touareg V6 FSI - 8-speed automatic - $77,990
- Touareg V6 TDI - 8-speed automatic - $77,990
- Touareg V6 TDI - 4XMOTION 8-speed automatic - $82,990
- Metallic Paint - $1,500
- Pearl Effect Paint - $1,500
- Panoramic Electric Sunroof - $3000
- Air Suspension System (excluding 150TDI) - $5,900
- Bi-xenon headlights with dynamic cornering and LED daytime driving lights - $3,500
- Sports interior package (excluding 150TDI) - $1000
- Comfort Package (excluding 150TDI) - $4,500
- Anti-theft alarm system (150TDI) - $900
- Area view (150TDI) - $2,500
- Area view (excluding 150TDI) - $1,100
- 20” Pikes Peak Alloy Wheels (excluding 150TDI) - $4,900
- Dynaudio 620W Premium Audio System - $2,900
- RNS850 Satellite Navigation System (150TDI) - $4,900
- Driver Assistance Package - $5,400