VOLVO IS SET TO enter the Belgian Touring Car Series, entering a race-ready version of its upcoming S60 sedan into the popular European racing code this year.
Just weeks after its world debut, the 2010 Volvo S60 Silhouette S1 has been revealed to the press - and while it's still April 1 in some parts of the world, Volvo assures us this is no prank.
The S60 Silhouette S1 - named for the BTCS regulations it must adhere to - features a racing body kit, a tubular frame chassis, revised suspension with independent three-way adjustable shock absorbers and high performance brakes.
While the most powerful engine available with the roadgoing S60 will be the 3.0 litre T6 petrol engine, Volvo's track car will develop a goodly 306kW and 412Nm of torque through a standardised mid-mounted 3.5 litre V6 engine.
"We are very happy about this development," Bart Crols, Managing Director at Volvo Cars Belgium said.
"The all-new Volvo S60 sports sedan is Volvo's most exciting driving experience so far and there is no better way to show this than by bringing it to the race track. Volvo and the all-new S60 have a special place in the people's hearts here as several Volvo models, including the new S60, are built in Belgium at theVolvo Cars Ghent plant."
The racegoing S60 will face off against competitors from BMW, Audi, Jaguar and Volkswagen, with its first series race coming next week on April 9.
The BTCS is an endurance series with six competitions, with each race consisting of two 90-minute heats and a 12 hour race in Spa.
Technical Specification Volvo S60 BTCS
- Regulation: BTCS Silhouette S1
- Chassis: Tubular frame
- Front Suspension: Independent with 3-way adjustable shock absorbers
- Rear Suspension: Independent with 3-way onboard adjustable shock absorbers
- Brakes: 6-piston callipers, 380 mm discs at the front and 6-piston callipers, 355 mm discs at the rear
- Engine: Mid-mounted standardised 3500 cc V6
- Engine Power Output: 410 hp with 412 Nm at 5500rpm
- Gearbox: Six-speed sequential. Rear-wheel drive
- Wheels: 10" X 18" front and 12" X 18" rear
- Tyres: Michelin 27/65/18 front and Michelin 30/65/18 rear
2010 Racing Calendar for the all-new Volvo S60 in the BTCS series
- April 9-11 Zolder
- April 30-May 2 Dijon-Prenois
- June 4-6 Spa-Francorchamps
- July 9-10 Spa-Francorchamps
- September 17-19 Spa-Francorchamps
- October 8-10 Zolder