V8 SUPERCARS AUSTRALIA has announced this week that it has dropped Perth's Barbagallo Raceway from the 2010 calendar, due to "third world" conditions. The event has been replaced by the Ipswich 300 at Queensland Raceway.
Shane Howard, CEO of V8 Supercars Australia, said this week that it was disappointing that a solution could not be found for Perth to stay in the fixture.
"It is great news that we have been able to secure the City of Ipswich 300 but disappointing we have been unable to find a workable solution to the similar issues we have at Barbagallo Raceway." Mr Howard said. "We are extremely disappointed for all of our fans in WA."
Mr Howard said the decision had been made because of occupational health and safety issues in both the paddock and the pit lane.
While representatives from both V8SA and Barbagallo had been working to re-vamp the circuit's facilities ahead of the 2010 championship, a breakdown in negotiations had lead to the event being cancelled.
Originally binned earlier this year, the reinstatement of the event will see the Ipswich 300 run from April 30 to May 2.
The 2010 V8 Supercar Championship kicks off in Abu Dhabi next week, running from February 18-20.