This Sunday just gone (UK time) saw the return of the one true Top Gear to British television sets, and to computer screens of net-savvy fans around the world this morning. Let me tell you: theyâ€™ve still got it.
Clarkson pits the Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4 against the Porsche 911 GT2 â€“ describing the latter as â€œterrifyingâ€. The Stigâ€™s in-car soundtrack this season looks to be morse code â€“ and I reckon the first TMR reader that can tell us what the code was in this weekâ€™s episode will win themselvesâ€¦ bloody nothing. Enjoy that.
The boys kicked off the challenges this season with a mission that required each of them to spend five grand on the best trucks they could find (proper trucks, mind you - of the freight variety)â€¦ and then race them. Of course, the usual ridiculous stunts and tests apply.
Above: Truckerâ€™s Arm Stig!
And for those whoâ€™ve been keeping track of the Dacia Sanderoâ€¦ Bad news!
What else is on for Top Gear this season? Youâ€™ve no doubt seen the trailer for what lies ahead, but hereâ€™s a quick rundown anyway.
From what we could gather from both the trailer and the quick preview shown at the start of Sundayâ€™s episodeâ€¦
- The boys will be off to China at some point (where theyâ€™ll encounter The Stigâ€™s communist cousin, Red Stig).
- Another trip to the US is on the cards where theyâ€™ll hoon along a desert road in a Dodge Challenger, Corvette, and Cadillac CTS-V.
- Some bus racing appears to be on the dance card, including the long stretchy types, and a double-decker.
- The Lexus IS-F faces off against the BMW M3
- Hammond plods along on a pink (including the tyres) motorcycle.
- Clarkson pulls a burnout in front of an American police cruiser.
- Yet another poor pickup gets dropped from on high.
- A ramp jump is undertaken in a regular sedan â€“ with a caravan attached.
- May faces up to The Stig as they pit the Zonda against the Veyron
Season 12 preview:
Looks like season 12 will be a goodun, as always.