Following a proposal announced last year, the South Australian Government has confirmed today that it will ban probationary drivers from vehicles with forced-induction petrol engines or engines with more than six cylinders. Diesel-engined cars will not be included among the restricted vehicles.
The new laws, which will come into force from September 4, apply only to P-platers under 25 years-old getting their probationary licence after that date.
"The vast majority of learner and P-platers aim to drive safely and responsibly, but there's increasing community concern over young, inexperienced drivers getting behind the wheel of these very powerful vehicles," Road Safety Minister Jack Snelling said.
"Too many young people are killing themselves on the roads and that often happens when an inexperienced driver is driving a car that they just don't have the necessary experience to control, particularly in dangerous circumstances."
Certain vehicles not immediately covered by the rules may also be included however, with Nissan's 350Z and 370Z, along with the Honda NSX and all 1994+ Porsche models also figuring among the cars nominated for the 'banned' list.
A full list of vehicles excluded from the rules, numbering more than 250 cars, is available at www.mylicence.sa.gov.au.
Mr Snelling said that P-platers will be able to apply for exemptions, covering young motorists who are required to drive a high-powered vehicle for work, who only have access to a high-powered family car, or if they bought and registered their vehicle before September 4.
"If you already own one of these cars and don't have another car available, or one of these cars happens to be the family car and no other car is available or if you need to drive one of these cars for work, you're able to make an application to the Registrar of Motor Vehicles for an exemption in those sort of special circumstances," Mr Snelling said.
Probationary drivers breaching the new laws will be up for a $250 fine and three licence demerit points.