Peugeot Automobiles Australia today announced a special limited-edition 207 HDi "Le Mans Series" - on sale now in Australian showrooms. But you'll have to be quick if you want to bag one: there are only 75 heading this way (out of a global production-run of 2000 units.)
With Peugeot's potent and well-proven 1.6 HDi under the little (and seemly) 207 bonnet, buyers of the Le Mans Series get the benefits of diesel power and economy in an individual 'once-off' package. Each car is numbered and comes in a choice of just two colours - Bianca White and Obsidien Black - bedecked with 'go-faster' longitudinal red stripes and a Peugeot lion-head motif on the doors.
Peugeot is leveraging the 207 HDi "Le Mans Series" off its recent motorsport success with oil-burner technology following its return to the Le Mans Series and endurance racing with the 908 HDi FAP in 2007. Peugeot Sport has recently announced the 908 HY race car â€“ a diesel-hybrid race vehicle which is expected to be ready to turn its wheels in anger for the start of the 2009 Le Mans Series season.
The 207 HDi is not quite the torque-monster of its racing Peugeot stablemates, but with 80kW at 4000rpm and 240Nm of torque from a very low 1750rpm, and a suitcase-sized little body to push around, it's no slouch. (And, thanks to a turbo over-boost function, should you need a quick stab of power, maximum torque can be increased momentarily to 260Nm).
The 207s we've driven here at TMR have all been zesty little steers, with go-kart like handling. Best of all, besides the strong performance, fuel consumption is a miserly 4.8 litres per 100km (combined cycle) while emitting only 126 grams of CO2 per km.
The 207 "Le Mans Series" is priced at $31,990 (plus dealer delivery and on-road costs). You could do a lot worse.
The 207 "Le Mans Series" exterior features:
- Sport front bumper with Shadow aluminium grille
- Black Chrome headlights with AFS
- Body coloured side mouldings, bumpers strips and side view mirror
- Long racing stripe trimmed along the bonnet, roof, and rear spoiler
- Decal accents include a Peugeot logo striping on the doors and Le Mans Series logos on the tailgate
- Multispoke 17-inch Pitlane aluminium wheels
- Rear spoiler
- Chrome exhaust extension
- Exterior colours are Bianca White and Obsidien Black.
The interior receives:
- Aluminium finish dÃ©cor on centre console and dash surround
- Front and rear bucket seats finished with Leather bolsters, contrasting white stitching and Alcantara inserts
- Front and rear carpet mat covers
- Steering wheel with aluminium finish ring
- Dark window tinting on rear side windows and rear tailgate
- Gearshift lever knob, pedal assembly, foot rest and "Peugeot" door sill in aluminium
- Sports white dial inserts on Instrument Cluster
Other standard Features include:
- Athermic windscreen
- Electric Folding Mirrors
- Dual Zone Climate Control
- Auto Directional Headlamps
- Rear Park Assist
- RD4 Radio with MP3