Mitsubishi Motors has announced that it will be taking the wraps off an all-new member of the tri-diamond family at the Paris Motor Show next month. However, the Japanese automaker has refused to drop any details on its mystery car until October 2, instead choosing to release a single cryptic teaser shot to whet our appetites until the big unveiling.
While it certainly looks very similar to the Lancer Evolution X's nose, the more rounded headlights are a dead giveaway that this is an all-new vehicle. Rumours have been circulating that Mitsubishi's mystery car is actually a production version of the Lancer-based Concept Cx crossover. The sizing of the numberplate recess, however, suggests that this car is much closer in size to the Colt, which has recently been spied sporting a new schnozz and is due for an update soon.
While we don't yet know what Mitsubishi's mysterious teaser shot depicts, we CAN tell you what other plans the marque has for the Paris show. The Lancer Sportback will be making its global premiere in Paris and will be shown off in Ralliart trim too, which means Mitsubishi now have a direct competitor for Subaru's new WRX hatchback. The Lancer Ralliart sedan will be making its European debut as well, and Mitsubishi's new Racing Lancer rally raid contender will also be exhibited for the first time.
MITSUBISHI 2008 PARIS MOTOR SHOW PRESS CONFERENCE
Three World Premieres
- Press Conference - October 2nd at 10.45 AM, Hall 3
- Keynote speakers: Kurihara-san (Head of Product Strategy at MMC) and Tim Tozer (MME's President & CEO)
- MMSP (Mitsubishi's motor sports team) representatives also availableMitsubishi Motors are happy to welcome you to their stand for their Press Conference at the forthcoming Paris Motor Show, and the unveiling of a string of significant new products, on October 2nd at 10.45 AM, Hall 3.
Three World Premieres:
- Lancer Sportback - Mitsubishi's distinctive 5-door "Sports Hatch" for the C/D segments.
- Racing Lancer - Mitsubishi's entry at the 2009 Dakar Rally, modelled after Lancer Sportback and powered by an all-new 3.0 V6 turbo-diesel engine.
- Mitsubishi Motors will reserve a third world premiere for the Paris Motor Show (see below), which can only be discussed on October 2nd.A European Premiere:
Paris will also see the European premiere of the 240PS Lancer Ralliart, in both Sports Saloon and Sportback (5-door hatch) forms.