When your plumber turns up in a brand-spankers Maloo, are you alone in feeling that getting the toilet fixed is about to cost you a little more than it should?
According to a recent survey conducted by Mahindra Automotive Australia (MAA), distributors of the Mahindra Pik-Up utility vehicle, your suspicious assumptions are in fact shared by others.
The survey revealed that 41 percent of respondents felt that a tradie who drives a sturdy work horse ute was way more likely to instill trust in a client and be perceived to be hard working.
Furthermore, 15.9 percent of survey participants said that a ???flashy??? ute would induce suspicion of the tradie and even lead to the belief (rightly or wrongly) that they would be overcharged.
Only 10.1 percent believed that a high end ute gave the perception that the tradie was doing well and was good at their job.
???A workhorse ute adds a touch of genuineness to a tradie, over a sleek, high end, and showy ute, of which we suspect the days are numbered. In these tougher times, our research found that people appreciate utes that present value for money, can do the job and are fit for their purpose, without the hefty price tag. 71.1% of the respondents said that in a recession tradies will definitely think twice about buying a high-end ute and will be looking for cheaper alternatives that are just as good,??? Claire Tynan, CEO, MAA said.
The survey also revealed that 47.7 percent of tradies actually preferred ???hard working, honest utes???, as they projected the kind of persona the tradies wanted to project to their clients.
Of the remaining 52.3 percent of tradies surveyed (those who might consider a high-end ute), 21.3 percent were more interested in recession proofing their business, while 9.2 percent would only buy one as a second car.
Now, suggesting that the days are numbered for ???showy utes???, is a bit like reaching the conclusion that Aussies might stop drinking beer. Hot utes are simply too much a part of the Australian ute culture to disappear.
But let???s not kid ourselves that the current economic climate is making it easy to sell top of the line locally made utes either, because it's not.
All of which presents a real opportunity for the likes of MAA and their rugged, budget priced Mahindra Pik-Up.
We???ve road tested the Pik-Up and there is no doubting it will get the job done. It???s not pretty, but it is tough.
??????In addition, we???ve been getting feedback from tradies and dealers that as a smart business decision, two work horse utes are bought for what buyers were previously prepared to pay for one, which is a clever choice in a harsh economy,??? Ms. Tynan continued.
The good news for value conscious ute buyers, is that MAA is extending the end of model run out deals that kicked off in March, and it is possible to buy two Mahindra???s for less than the cost of that Maloo.
Standard features include a limited slip differential on both two and four wheel drive models, air conditioning, four wheel-drive electrically-engaged and automatic hub locks, power steering, power windows, remote central locking and superior sound system with full CD/MP3/SD/USB player.
Mahindra Pik-Up sale prices:
- Mahindra Pik-Up 2.5 CRDe Turbo Diesel Single Cab 4 x 2 Cab/Chassis - Was $ 19,990 (RRP Inc GST) Now $16,990 (Inc GST)*
- Mahindra Pik-Up 2.5 CRDe Turbo Diesel Single Cab 4 x 2 - Was $ 21,990 (RRP Inc GST) Now $18,990 (Inc GST)*
- Mahindra Pik-Up 2.5 CRDe Turbo Diesel Double Cab 4 x 2 Cab/Chassis - Was $ 23,990 (RRP Inc GST) Now $21,990 (Inc GST)*
- Mahindra Pik-Up 2.5 CRDe Turbo Diesel Double Cab 4 x 2 - Was $ 25,990 (RRP Inc GST) Now $23,990 (Inc GST)*
- Mahindra Pik-Up 2.5 CRDe Turbo Diesel Single Cab 4 x 4 Cab/Chassis - Was $ 22,990 (RRP Inc GST) Now $20,990 (Inc GST)*
- Mahindra Pik-Up 2.5 CRDe Turbo Diesel Single Cab 4 x 4 - Was $ 24,990 (RRP Inc GST) Now $22,990 (Inc GST)*
- Mahindra Pik-Up 2.5 CRDe Turbo Diesel Double Cab 4 x 4 Cab/Chassis - Was $ 27,990 (RRP Inc GST) Now $25,990 (Inc GST)*
- Mahindra Pik-Up 2.5 CRDe Turbo Diesel Double Cab 4 x 4 - Was $ 29,990 (RRP Inc GST) Now $26,990 (Inc GST)*
*Plus dealer delivery and statutory charges