It seems that in-spite of uncertain times, classic Ferrari sports cars continue to attract the big bucks at Auction. On the weekend just gone, the RM Auctions 'Sports & Classics of Monterey' auction event in the USA, saw a 1961 Ferrari 250 GT SWB Berlinetta bid to $4,510,000 leading a list of million dollar Ferraris.
?The strength of our European sales had a positive effect on the weekend's auction with many of our international clients in attendance. The sales were in-line with our expectations with several new records, and with seven of the eleven million dollar sales being vintage Ferraris, results indicate the continuing strength of the market for the world's most famous sports and racing marque," said Ian Kelleher, Managing Director of RM Auctions.
Held at the Portola Hotel & Spa in historic downtown Monterey, there was reportedly, standing room only at the two day event. Over 170 investment quality collector cars were auctioned in front of an international audience. At the end of the second day, total sales surpassed $US42 million.
Notables in the rarefied million-dollar plus club, included a 1961 Ferrari 400 Superamerica Coupe, which sold for an impressive $US1,650,000, a 1933 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Special Town Car, which attracted a $US2,310,000 final bid and a 1930 Duesenberg Model J Dual Cowl Phaeton that found a new home for $US1,760,000.
Earlier this year at another RM Auctions event, a pristine example of a 1961 Ferrari 250 GT California Spyder become the World's most expensive car when it went under the hammer for the equivalent of AUD $11,424,302.
The Million Dollars cars at the Monterey Auction US$:
- 1961 Ferrari 250 GT SWB Berlinetta - $4,510,000
- 1956 Ferrari 250 GT Tour de France Berlinetta - $3,900,000
- 1933 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Special Town Car - $2,310,000
- 1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4 Berlinetta - $1,925,000
- 1930 Duesenberg Model J Dual Cowl Phaeton - $1,760,000
- 1961 Ferrari 400 Superamerica Coupe Aerodinamica - $1,650,000
- 1966 Ford GT40 MK1 - $1,465,000
- 1973 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona Spyder - $1,485,000
- 1929 Duesenberg Model J Convertible Coupe - $1,413,500
- 1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4 Berlinetta - $1,375,000
- 1958 Chrysler Diablo Convertible Coupe - $1,200,000
- 1972 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona Spyder - $1,127,500
- 1948 Tucker Sedan - $1,017,500
- 1965 Ferrari 275 GTB/6C Berlinetta - $1,012,000