MERCEDES HAS decided not to appeal the Monaco stewards' decision to penalise Michael Schumacher.
As per FIA rules, the German team lodged notification of its intention to appeal within an hour of the publication of the decision.
The actual appeal application then had to be filed within 48 hours.
In a media statement issued on Tuesday, the Brackley based team said it "cannot be happy with the outcome" but has decided not to appeal "in the best interests of the sport".
By way of explanation, Mercedes said that the F1 governing body recognises "the reasons" for (the Mercedes team) informing Schumacher and Nico Rosberg to race in the final corner of the race, adding that many teams have the same opinion.
The team said its interpretation of the rule will be discussed at the next meeting of the Sporting Working Group, with the FIA also agreeing to listen to Mercedes' view that the 20-second time penalty was "disproportionate".
Mercedes also added its comment to reports that Damon Hill, Schumacher's former title nemesis, feels "uncomfortable" with the concept of former drivers having full voting powers as stewards.
1996 world champion Hill revealed earlier on Tuesday that he had received "hate mail" from those who believe he acted with prejudice.
"Mercedes would like to emphasise that we fully support the inclusion of past drivers on the stewards panel and are completely satisfied that the Monaco Grand Prix stewards acted professionally, impartially and properly in this matter," the statement said
No Contract Talks With Webber Yet - Horner
RED BULL team boss Christian Horner has insisted that talks about extending Mark Webber's contract have not yet begun.
After the Australian driver commandingly won the back-to-back Spanish and Monaco Grands Prix from pole, the energy drink's Racing Adviser Helmut Marko admitted it is "our desire to continue with Vettel and Webber".
And on Sunday night, team boss Christian Horner was spotted out for dinner with Webber's famous manager Flavio Briatore.
But Horner is quoted by The Sun newspaper as clarifying that no actual negotiations with the 33-year-old world championship leader have yet taken place.
"The team and Mark are very relaxed about the situation," said the Briton.
"He is an important member of the team and he is driving fantastically well. But we have not spoken, and have no real interest in speaking, with any of our drivers.
"When the time is right, we will sit down and look at the paperwork," he added.
Webber's contract runs out at the end of the season, while it is believed Sebastian Vettel's current deal - announced last August - was for the 2010 and 2011 seasons.