Sebastian Vettel needs to accept the reality of a number two role for the good of Red Bull's 2010 title chances.
That is the claim of former triple World Champion and outspoken commentator Niki Lauda, following reports the young German is reluctant to give up the chase for his first title in deference to the team's points leader Mark Webber.
The news also follows boss Christian Horner's insistence that the team will "support both (drivers) equally" in Brazil and Abu Dhabi "in line with Red Bull's credible sporting ethos".
But with Ferrari's Fernando Alonso leading the Championship and fully backed by his teammate Felipe Massa, Lauda said Red Bull's policy is a road to failure.
"Red Bull needs to establish the team hierarchy now," the great Austrian is quoted by Bild newspaper.
"If they don't get behind Mark Webber, they may have to go without the title."
Lauda's only concern is that the exercising of team orders within Red Bull is done in a way that does not "cheat the spectators".
Jos Verstappen, who in the mid-90s at Benetton was Michael Schumacher's number two, agrees that Vettel should be playing that role now.
"Purely mathematically, he has a chance to be champion. But as a team they really have to put everything behind Webber.
"He (Webber) has a better chance of winning the title," the Dutchman wrote in his column for De Telegraaf newspaper.
"Of course it's a difficult position for Red Bull, as the whole world knows who they would prefer to be in the best position.
"It's unfortunate for Vettel, but with his engine failure in Korea his championship did literally go up in smoke," Verstappen said.
But Horner sounds unlikely to have a change of heart, telling the BBC he finds it "frustrating" that seven points of leader Alonso's 11 point lead was due to inheriting the German Grand Prix win from his teammate Massa.
"It (losing the title to Alonso) would be frustrating because we've obviously worked under the auspices that team orders have been illegal," he told BBC radio.
Volkswagen Says No To F1: Report
The Volkswagen Group is not going to enter Formula One.
That is the conclusion on Tuesday of a report in the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung newspaper.
Last month, following speculation the German giant was considering entering F1 with Audi or Porsche branding, it emerged that VW would discuss the possibility during a meeting in early November.
The FAZ newspaper, citing definite but unnamed sources, now says Volkswagen Chairman Ferdinand Piech has decided the marque will not be entering F1.
Interestingly, the report said Red Bull and McLaren had expressed their interest in being supplied engines by Volkswagen.
FAZ said VW is still interested in entering the World Rally Championship, as well as operating two programmes – with Porsche and Audi – at Le Mans.