Lotus will not be powered by Cosworth in 2011, the British independent engine maker has announced.
After the Italian grand prix at Monza, team owner and boss Tony Fernandes hinted strongly that a deal had been struck to end Lotus' existing engine deal so that the cars could be powered by Renault V8s next year.
Cosworth confirmed that an agreement to end its collaboration with Lotus has been reached "in principle".
"This agreement is subject to contract and until the agreement is signed, neither party will be making any further comment," the statement added.
German reports on Sunday quoted Cosworth's managing director Tim Routsis as saying the marque would like to sign another customer team for 2011.
Brake Problem Slowed Vettel Before Webber Pass
It was not an engine problem that slowed Sebastian Vettel and allowed teammate Mark Webber to pass him during the Italian grand prix.
The conspiracy theorists' eyes widened during Sunday's Monza race when the RB6 driven by Vettel, who is behind Webber in the world championship, temporarily slowed but then recovered pace after the Australian had passed him.
The young German was heard on the radio complaining of a loss of engine power, to which BBC pundit Eddie Jordan recommended him for a Bafta -- a British acting prize.
Team boss Christian Horner later clarified that the problem was not caused by the Renault engine.
"At first we thought one of his visor tear-offs might have flown into the airbox, but it now looks as though his brakes were momentarily binding, probably as the result of hitting a kerb," said the Briton.
The same conspiracy theorists were also pointing to an incident during Felipe Massa's pitstop that put the Ferrari driver out of contention for the top two places at Monza, a race won by the Brazilian's teammate Fernando Alonso.
"I don't know what happened," he said afterwards. "I just saw that they took a little bit of time to change the front right tyre."