Known to its fans as the 'baby blade' - after the company's hero 1000cc Fireblade sports bike - the Honda CBR250RR continues to be a favourite first-bike for new riders, despite being out of production for more than 10 years.
In Australia, the Honda's 250cc offerings have been limited in recent years to naked bikes, leaving fans of the brand's full-faired sports bikes with few options.
Come 2011 however, Honda Australia will launch the all-new CBR250R, giving the brand a direct competitor to Kawasaki's popular Ninja 250R.
Unveiled in Bangkok this week, the new CBR250R will make its Australian debut at the Australian Motorcycle Expo in Melbourne on November 26 before going on sale early next year.
Weighing in at 162kg, The new CBR250R is powered by an all-new liquid-cooled 20kW/31Nm single-cylinder engine, with a four-valve DOHC cylinder head and PGM-FI fuel injection. The new engine is mated to a six-speed transmission.
With a steel diamond-style chassis design, the new CBR250R's styling is inspired on the 'mass centralisation form' approach utilised by the much larger VFR1200F, although traits from the CBR1000RR Fireblade are visible throughout the bike's design.
Importantly, the CBR250R also offers Combined ABS as an option - a first for the 250cc class - and braking is handled by a 296mm disc up front and a 220mm disc at the rear. Cast-aluminium wheels prop up each end, wrapped in a 110/70-17 tyre up front and 140/70-17 rubber at the other end.
Pricing for the 2011 Honda CBR250R has yet to be confirmed, although it will likely fall in the vicinity of Kawasaki's $7499 Ninja 250R. By comparison, Hyosung's popular GT 250R - built on its GT 650 R frame - is priced at $6990.
- Engine Type: Liquid-cooled, four-stroke single-cylinder four-stroke
- Displacement: 249.4cc
- Bore and Stroke: 76mm x 55mm
- Compression ratio: 10.7:1
- Valve Train: DOHC; four valves per cylinder
- Fueling: PGM-FI, 38mm throttle body
- Ignition: Computer-controlled digital transistorized with electronic advance
- Transmission: Six-speed
- Suspension Front: 37mm fork
- Suspension Rear: Pro-Link single shock with five-position preload adjustment
- Brakes Front: Single 296mm disc with two-piston Nissin calipers
- Brakes Rear: Single 220mm disc with single-piston caliper
- Optional ABS
- Tires Front: 110/70-17 radial
- Tires Rear: 140/70-17 radial
- Rake/Trail: 25.0 degrees / 95mm (3.74 inches)
- Wheelbase: 53.9 inches
- Seat Height: 30.9 inches
- Fuel Capacity: 3.4 gallons
- Colors: Metallic Black, Red/Silver
- Curb Weight: 359 pounds / 368 pounds (ABS)