LAND ROVER has today announced Australian pricing and specifications for the 2010 Land Rover Discovery 4, due to arrive in showrooms from early October.
With over 100 international awards to its name, the outgoing Discovery 3 has left some big shoes to fill. The Discovery 4, Land Rover says, is more than up to the task.
Sporting a new engine, a refreshed exterior, a more luxurious interior and revisions to the chassis and suspension, the brand new Discovery 4 looks to be well on its way to continuing the success of its predecessor.
Two new engines have joined the Discovery 4 line-up.
The LR-TDV6 3.0 litre twin-turbo diesel develops 180kW (up 29 percent) and a class-leading 600Nm of torque (up 36 percent).
Fuel economy is rated at just 9.2 l/100km on the combined cycle, making for a 8.9 percent improvement. CO2 emissions have been reduced by 8.3 percent, the LR-TDV6 engine releasing 243g/km.
Stepping up the power, the 5.0 litre naturally-aspirated V8 delivers 276kW and 510Nm of torque, with fuel economy rated at 13.9 l/100km and CO2 emissions at 326g/km.
The existing 2.7 litre LR-TDV6 remains available, producing 140kW and 440Nm of torque.
The improved engines are mated to Land Rover's new six-speed adaptive shift automatic transmission.
In the case of the V8 engine and its ample low down torque, the transmission can now lock-up earlier in each gear and reduce energy-wasting slip, thus improving efficiency and power transfer.
Interior And Driving
The interior has been completely redesigned and now appears far more modern and sumptuous than its predecessor.
At the helm, drivers have access to an array of features including a portable audio interface, HD Radio, and a new five-camera 'surround' system. Push button start and keyless entry are standard.
Comprehensive revisions to the chassis and suspension systems include revised steering, larger 360mm brakes and improvements to the Terrain Response system.
Land Rover has improved its much vaunted Hill Descent Control (HDC) system on the LR4 by adding a Gradient Release Control feature.
The system activates automatically when HDC is switched on and controls initial brake pressure and acceleration on steep declines.
Land Rover has fitted Trailer Stability Assist to the LR4, designed to reduce engine torque and instigate light braking automatically while towing to reduce the chance of towing-related accidents.
Safety features across the Discovery 4 range include Electronic Parking Brake (EPB), Slip Control System includes: Electronic Brake-force Distribution, All-terrain Anti-Lock Braking System, Electronic Traction control and Dynamic Stability Control.
Other features include Electronic differential control, Emergency Brake Assist, Enhanced Understeer Control, Hydraulic rear brake boost, Roll Stability Control, Trailer stability assist and Hill Descent Control, with Gradient Release Control.
A full complement of airbags has been included as standard equipment, including full size driver and front passenger, driver and front passenger side and head, and rear outboard passenger head airbags.
The 2010 Land Rover Discovery 4 will be offered four different specification levels.
|Land Rover Discovery 4 2.7 TDV6||$68,490|
|Land Rover Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE||$81,990|
|Land Rover Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE||$94,990|
|Land Rover Discovery 4 5.0 V8||$126,460|
Click below to reveal the full feature list for each specification level
Discovery 4 2.7 TDV6
2.7 TDV6 diesel engine with variable geometry turbocharger (140kW & 440Nm)
- 6-Speed adaptive automatic gearbox with CommandShift?
- Diesel Mis-Fuelling protection device
- Cruise control
- Push Button Start including electronic steering lock
- Terrain Response? and Electric Park Brake
- Permanent four wheel Drive
- Centre electronic differential with low range transfer box
- Electronic cross linked air suspension with automatic load levelling and multiple modes, access, normal, off-road, extended height
- Power assisted, speed proportional steering (PAS)
- Rain sensing wipers and automatic headlamps
- Exterior mirrors - power adjustable, heated
- Door puddle lamps and footwell lamps.
- Headlamps - automatic and rain sensors with powerwash
- Front Fog Lamps
- Park Distance Control - Rear
- Asymmetrical two piece tailgate
- Tow Pack
- 18 inch 5 Spoke Alloy Wheels with 255/60 AT/V Rated Tyres
- Full Size Spare Alloy Wheel
- Automatic dimming interior mirror
- Electric windows with one touch open/close
- Climate control - automatic with air filtration and dual controls
- 5 Seats with cloth trim
- Seats - Rear folding 65:35
- Leather trimmed steering wheel
- Harman/Kardon Audio System - 9 Speakers, Subwoofer, Radio, Single Slot CD Player, Auxiliary Input, Audio Amplifier (240 Watts)
- 5" TFT (Thin Film Transistor Screen) and Driver Information Centre
- Bluetooth? telephone connectivity and integration
- Auxiliary Power Sockets - Front, rear 2nd row and rear loadspace
- Control Systems - Electronic Parking Brake (EPB), Slip Control System includes: Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), All-terrain Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Traction control (ETC), Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), Electronic differential control, Emergency Brake Assist (EBA), Enhanced Understeer Control (EUC), Hydraulic rear brake boost, Roll Stability Control (RSC), Trailer stability assist and Hill Descent Control (HDC) with Gradient Release Control (GRC)
- Airbags, full size driver & front passenger, driver & front passenger side and head, rear outboard passenger head airbags
- Remote Central Locking including auto lock on drive away
- Alarm System - Perimetric Security and passive engine immobilisation
Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE
3.0 TDV6 diesel engine with advanced sequential twin turbochargers (180kW & 600Nm)
- 7 Seats with leather trim
- Bi-Xenon headlights with cornering lamps
- 19 inch 7-Spoke Alloy Wheel - 255/55 AT/V Rated Tyres
- Powerfold mirrors
- Third row head curtain airbags
- Third row map lamps
Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE
- Premium Navigation System (Hard Disc Drive) with voice control and off-road mapping
- Harman/Kardon (USB) Audio System - 9 Speakers including Subwoofer, Radio, Single Slot CD Player, Portable Audio Interface, Touch Screen, Audio Amplifier (240 Watts)
- Portable Audio Interface - allows connection of iPod, MP3 player and USB Mass Storage Device
- Rear view camera
- Park Distance Control - Front
- 19 inch 7-Split Spoke Alloy Wheel
- Rear Air Conditioning
- Illuminated front vanity mirrors
- Rear Luggage Net
- Interior Mood Lighting
- Electric seat driver's and passenger's adjustment (8/8 way), with memory function for driver's seat and exterior mirrors
- Driver and passenger front armrests
- Driver power lumbar and passenger manual lumbar support
- Leather gear knob
Discovery 4 5.0 V8
- 5.0 V8 normally aspirated petrol engine (276kW and 510Nm)
- Harman/Kardon LOGIC7 Surround (USB) Audio System - 14 Speakers including Subwoofer, Radio, Single Slot CD Player, Portable Audio Interface, Rear Seat Audio Controls, Rear Seat Headphone Modules, DSP Amplifier (480 Watts)
- Rear Screen Entertainment Pack (includes DVD 6 disc changer, 2 headphones, remote control & Rear Headphone Module)
- Hybrid TV system
- Rear Electronic Differential
- Electric - Sunroof, tilt/slide front glass and fixed glass Alpine Roof
- Surround Camera System - with Tow Assist and Tow Hitch Assist (Includes Rear View Camera)
- Adaptive Bi-Xenon headlights with cornering lamps
- Automatic High Beam Assist
- Roof Rails
- 20 inch 10-Split Spoke Alloy Wheel
- Front centre console - cooler compartment
- Keyless Entry
- Cold Climate Pack - Heated windscreen, heated seats front and rear, heated windscreen washers & Heated Steering Wheel
- Premium Leather Pack with Electrically Adjustable Bolsters
- Premium Leather Cubby Box Lid,
- Carpet Mat Set