Suzuki Australia has capped off its Vitara small SUV range with the addition of a diesel-engined flagship, which goes on sale this week in a single specification priced at $35,990 before on-roads.
Priced $3000 higher than the 4WD version of the recently-launched Vitara S Turbo, the Vitara RT-X Diesel comes standard with a six-speed auto and multi-mode 4WD drivetrain.
It also boasts the lowest fuel consumption in the range, with Suzuki claiming an average thirst of 4.9 l/100km - almost a full litre less than the substantially lighter naturally-aspirated petrol 1.6 Vitara RT-S manual.
Power comes in at 88kW while peak torque is a fat 320Nm from 1750rpm, which gives the RT-X diesel 100Nm more than the already-tractable Vitara S Turbo.
It also boasts steering wheel mounted paddle shifters for its six-speed automatic and a multi-mode drive system for its 4WD driveline, which can be locked to a 50:50 front-rear torque split with the push of a button.
The Vitara RT-X Diesel's feature set largely mirrors that of the Vitara S Turbo, with the following offered as standard equipment:
- Cruise control
- Climate control
- Dual panoramic glass sunroof
- Leather/suede upholstery
- 17-inch polished alloy wheels
- LED daytime running lamps
- LED headlamps
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Power-folding door mirrors
- Privacy glass
- 7-inch colour display with satellite navigation
- Apple CarPlay integration
- Reversing camera
- Bluetooth connectivity
- USB Audio input
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Keyless entry and igntion
The 2016 Vitara family now comprises three powertrains and spans a price range stretching from $21,990 to $35,990. The RT-X Diesel goes on sale from this week.
- Suzuki Vitara RT-S 1.6 petrol 2WD manual - $21,990
- Suzuki Vitara RT-S 1.6 petrol 2WD automatic - $23,990
- Suzuki Vitara S Turbo 1.4 petrol 2WD automatic - $28,990
- Suzuki Vitara S Turbo 1.4 petrol 4WD automatic - $32,990
- Suzuki Vitara RT-X Diesel 1.6 diesel 4WD automatic - $35,900
All prices do not include on-road costs