Kia Australia's new Cerato range has been joined by a five-door hatch option this week, arriving nearly three months since the launch of the four-door sedan.
The sedan brought in just over 400 buyers in July, but it's this new hatch model that will do the heavy lifting in taking the challenge to the popular Corolla (3945 sales), Mazda3 (3464), Cruze (2467) and i30 (2290) - among others.
The new hatch line-up tops out with the automatic equipped SLi with satellite navigation, priced at $30,990.
As with the sedan, two petrol engine options are offered with the hatch: the 1.8 litre Nu MPI and the 2.0 Nu GDI.
Six-speed manual and automatic transmissions are available across the 2013 range.
1.8 four-cylinder Nu
Power for the 1.8 litre engine is rated at 110kW and 178Nm of torque.
Fuel consumption is listed at 6.6 l/100km with the manual and 7.1 l/10km for the auto, and Kia promises 0-100km/h times of 10.1 and 11.6 seconds respectively.
2.0 litre four-cylinder Nu
In 2.0 litre form, power is rated at 129kW and 209Nm, available in both Si and SLi form.
Fuel use for the 2.0 engine is rated at 7.4 l/100km with either transmission, and 0-100km/h times are listed at 8.5 seconds with the manual and 9.3 with the auto.
Kia says it has worked to offer a vastly improved driving experience in the new Cerato, with a stiffer bodyshell and new vibration-damping front subframe mountings to reduce cabin noise and increase comfort.
Suspension is by MacPherson struts up front and a coupled-torsion beam arrangement at the rear. Kia claims improved agility and enhanced shock absorbance with the new model.
As with all of Kia's latest models, the new Cerato has undergone an extensive local handling program, conducted by Kia Australia's engineering team.
Features and Dimensions
The new Cerato is larger than its predecessor, measuring 10mm longer at 4350mm and riding on a 51mm longer 2700mm wheelbase.
The 2013 model is 5mm wider at 1780mm, but equal in height at 1450mm. Practicality remains a focus, with boot capacity now up to 657 litres.
Kia says it has improved Interior comfort further thanks to a lower floor and seat position, along with wider front-seat cushions with increased thigh support.
A lower cabin floor and dropped hip points has translated to increased front headroom and legroom, while shoulder room is also improved.
The new Cerato hatch is offered in the familiar Kia trim grades, opening with the S, through to the mid-range Si and the top-shelf SLi.
Powered by the 1.8 engine and available with both manual and auto transmissions, standard equipment for the entry-level Cerato S includes:
- Six airbags (front / front side / curtain)
- Seatbelt reminders on all positions
- ESC (Electronic Stability Control) with TCS/ABS/EBD/BA
- VSM (Vehicle Stability Management) with HAC and ESS
- Three child restraint anchorage points
- Front corner & rear parking sensors
- Tilt and telescopic MDPS steering with FlexSteer
- 16” steel wheels with full-size spare
- Rear spoiler with high-mounted rear stoplight
- Projection headlamps with escort function, front fog lamps
- Keyless entry with folding key set
- Cloth seats, six-way driver’s seat adjustment
- Front centre console armrest (with storage box & bin) & front twin cup holders
- Split fold rear seats (60:40), height adjustable headrests (all seats)
- Chrome family-look grille, body coloured bumpers, door handles & outside door mirrors
- Electric outside door mirrors (heated) with side indicators
- Cruise control with steering wheel mounted controls
- Dot-matrix type LCD instrument cluster with multi-function trip computer
- Power windows (front & rear) with driver’s auto down
- Floor console storage with sliding cover
- MP3 compatible CD player with AM/FM tuner
- 6 speakers (front door, rear door & front tweeters)
- AUX/USB input with iPod compatibility
- Bluetooth functionality (phone/media)
- Steering wheel mounted audio/Bluetooth controls
- Manual air-conditioning
- Under floor side tray in cargo area and luggage net hooks
- Luggage screen
- Roof-mounted antenna
- Chrome tip exhausts
- Multi-function trip computer
The mid-level Cerato Si is powered by the 2.0 litre engine, and is also available with manual and auto options. Features built on the S model with the following additions/changes:
- 16” alloy wheels with full-size alloy spare
- Rear view camera with in-audio screen display & parking guidelines
- Dusk-sensing automatic headlamps
- Smart key with push button start & welcome lights (puddle/pocket)
- Electric folding outside door mirrors with automatic folding function
- Front centre console armrest sliding function
- Outside door handle pocket lamps
- Chrome accented highlights (waist-line & door handles)
- UV cut glass (windscreen)
- Aero-blade type front wipers
- Premium steering wheel & shift knob
- Artificial leather wrapped instrument cluster
- Front power windows auto up & down with safety function
- Premium interior trim (carbon-fibre look fascia / chrome look interior door handles / soft-touch door trim)
- Sunvisor illumination
- Seat back pocket (passenger side)
- 4.3” full touch colour LCD audio screen
- Rear air vent
The Cerato SLi is also driven by the 2.0 litre engine and can be had with six-speed manual and auto transmissions.
- 17” alloy wheels with full-size alloy spare
- Electrochromic rear view mirror (auto dimming)
- LED daytime running lights (DRL)
- HID type front headlamps
- Leather trim seats
- LED rear combination lamps
- 8-way power driver’s seat plus lumbar support
- IMS driver’s seat with 2 seating position memory & easy access function
- Powered sunroof (slide & tilt)
- Paddle shifters (A/T only)
- Colour TFT Supervision instrument cluster
- Alloy sports pedals
- Cooling glovebox
- Dual-zone climate control air-conditioning
- Clean Air module
- Auto defog system
- Ventilated driver’s seat
- Front seat warmers
- Satellite Navigation multimedia system with traffic information (SUNATM
- 7” full-touch colour LCD screen
- DVD Player (video playback only functional while stationary)
Pricing (excludes on-road costs)
- S - 1.8 petrol - manual - $19,990
- S - 1.8 petrol - auto - $21,990
- Si - 2.0 petrol - manual - $23,990
- Si - 2.0 petrol - auto - $25,590
- SLi - 2.0 petrol - manual - $27,990
- SLi - 2.0 petrol - auto - $29,990
- SLi with nav - 2.0 petrol - manual - $28,990
- SLi with nav - 2.0 petrol - auto - $30,990
Filed under: Featured, Kia, petrol, Kia Cerato, hatch, automatic, Manual, News, fwd, small, family, Advice, 4cyl, 5door, 6m, 6a, 5seat, available, 25-30k, 30-35k, 15-20k, 20-25k, 2013my, 2013my launch