Picking up the brand's sharp new headlights, the Australian A4 range also brings price cuts and new engines, while welcoming the S4 Avant wagon to the family.
The A4's pricing shuffle sees as much as $8000 cut from some models, while the power-boosted 2.0 TDI models come with a $1700 price rise.
Audi's best-selling model line picks up an engine for 2012, gaining the new 1.8 litre four-cylinder TFSI petrol engine that debuted with the updated A5 range.
Producing 125kW and 320Nm, the new engine delivers a touch more power than its 118kW predecessor, and a good 70Nm more torque. Audi promises a 0-100km/h time of 8.1 seconds with the 1.8 litre engine.
The 2.0 TFSI model is driven by a 2.0 litre turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine, producing 155kW and 350Nm.
Matched to a six-speed manual transmission and equipped with quattro all-wheel-drive, the 2.0 TFSI lists a 0-100km/h time of 6.5 seconds and fuel consumption of 6.8 l/100m. Audi's seven-speed S tronic auto is also available with this model (7.0 l/100km).
The top-shelf petrol model in the sub-S4 range is the 3.0 litre TFSI. Producing 200kW and 400Nm of torque, Audi promises a 5.4 second run to 100km/h, with fuel use listed at 8.1 l/100km.
The entry-level diesel, the 2.0 TDI, delivers 130kW and lists fuel consumption at 4.8 l/100km.
Audi's 3.0 TDI V6 diesel is available in two forms. In the 3.0 TDI, it produces 150kW and 400Nm of torque, with fuel consumption listed at 4.9 l/100km.
With the all-wheel-drive 3.0 TDI quattro, power is boosted to 180kW and 500Nm, making for a 5.9-second run to 100km/h and a 5.7 l/100km fuel rating.
S4 Flagship Sedan and Avant wagon
Now available in both Sedan and Avant wagon form, the S4 is powered by a 245kW and 440Nm version of the 3.0 TFSI engine.
In the sedan, Audi quotes a 0-100km/h time of 5.0 seconds flat, while the wagon reckons a time of 5.1 seconds.
Fuel consumption for the S4 sedan is listed at 8.1 l/100km - down from 9.4 l/100km - while the wagon lists 8.4 l/100km.
Both S4 models are equipped with Audi's tuned S sport suspension, lowering the body by 30mm and producing a more performance-focused experience, with driver-selectable driving modes.
A new electromechanical steering system is now standard across the range, along with auto stop/start, brake-energy recuperation and an on-demand-only operation for ancillary components.
Standard features include 17-inch alloy wheels, climate control, auto headlights and wipers, multifunction leather steering wheel and natural- and man-made leather seat combo trim, reversing sensors, 6.5 inch display with eight speakers, MP3 and Bluetooth audio streaming.
Moving up to the 2.0 TFSI and 3.0 TDI gets you larger wheels, steering-mounted paddle shifters, powered seats, LED daytime running lights, satellite navigation and keyless start.
In 3.0 TFSI and 3.0 TDI form, buyers pick up Milano leather seat trim, and the top-shelf S4 models get sports bucket seats, a 7.0 inch screen, adaptive cornering lights and, for the Avant, aluminium roof rails and an electric tailgate.
Safety features across the range include includes dual front, side, curtain and head airbags, ESC, Brake Assist, electromechanical parking brake and Attention Assist.
The updated A4 and S4 are on sale from July 7.
- 2012 A4 1.8 TFSI - manual - $52,700 (down $200)
- 2012 A4 1.8 TFSI - auto - $55,500 (down $200)
- 2012 A4 2.0 TDI - auto - $57,900 (up $1700)
- 2012 A4 2.0 TFSI quattro - manual - $61,700 (down $7600)
- 2012 A4 2.0 TFSI quattro - auto - $64,500 (down $8000)
- 2012 A4 3.0 TDI - auto - $68,900 (down $950)
- 2012 A4 3.0 TDI quattro - auto - $88,000 (down $2100)
- 2012 A4 3.0 TFSI quattro - auto - $93,400 (down $1900)
- 2012 A4 Avant 1.8 TFSI - auto - $58,500 (down $200)
- 2012 A4 Avant 2.0 TDI - auto - $60,900 (up $1700)
- 2012 A4 Avant 2.0 TFSI quattro - auto - $67,500 (down $8000)
- 2012 A4 Avant 3.0 TDI - auto - $71,900 (up $900)
- 2012 A4 S4 3.0 TFSI quattro - auto - $120,400 (down $400)
- 2012 A4 S4 Avant 3.0 TFSI quattro - auto - $123,900
Note: prices exclude on-road costs.
- Related News & Reviews at TMR ▼
- A4 news and reviews | Audi news and reviews
- Family Car news and reviews | Prestige Car news and reviews