Given its national media unveiling this week, the RS models enter as the flagships in an expanded Fabia range that now also includes a practical wagon option.
The RS pair kicks off at $27,990 for the hatch - entering at the same price as its three-door Polo GTI cousin - while the Fabia RS wagon is priced at $29,990.
Power for the Fabia RS twins is provided by the same 132kW and 250Nm 1.4 litre TSI engine driving the Polo GTI.
Skoda says both RS cars will push to 100km/h in 7.3 seconds, compared to a very close 6.9 seconds for the spritely Volkswagen.
Matched with a seven-speed DSG transmission (complete with paddle shifters), fuel consumption for both cars is listed at 6.2 l/100km, with CO2 emissions at 148g/km.
Volkswagen's new XDS electronic limited slip differential system is standard, braking the inside front wheel to increase torque to the outside front wheel.
Visually, the Fabia RS is set apart from the regular model by its unique front and rear bumpers, 17-inch alloy Gigaro wheels, red-painted brake calipers, tinted windows and twin exhaust tips.
In the hatch, storage capacity is listed at 300 litres with the rear seats upright, and 1165 litres when laid flat. In the wagon, capacity grows to 480 and 1460 litres respectively.
Standard features in the Fabia RS hatch and wagon includes:
- 17-inch 'Gigaro' silver alloy wheels
- Climatronic air-conditioning with electronic regulation
- Front sport seats (grey or red with RS badging)
- Small leather package - 3-spoke steering wheel, hand brake handle, gear level handle
- Chrome package - gearstick/DSG lever, frame of gearstick/DSG lever, air-conditioning controls, handbrake button
- Front lip spoiler
- Red painted brake callipers
- Polished black finish on B-pillar and door mirrors, chrome trim on radiator grille
- Power heated door mirrors
- Chrome double exhaust pipe, rear black diffuser, rear spoiler on boot (in vehicle or roof colour)
- RS badging (on grille and boot)
- Stainless steel sports pedals
- Projector halogen headlights with LED
- Tempo Red interior
- Coloured roof (Black, silver, white)
- Electric glass sunroof
- MDI - Mobile Device Interface
- Alarm system
- Privacy glass from B-pillar
- Coloured Gigaro 17” alloy wheels (anthracite, black and silver, white)
Safety features include six airbags (dual front, front side, curtain), electronic stability control (with ABS, ASR, EBD, XDL and hill-hold), rear parking sensors, three-point seatbelts all round, driver seatbelt warning.
Fabia RS - 132TSI Hatch - 7-speed DSG - $27,990
Fabia RS - 132TSI Wagon - 7-speed DSG - $29,990
Note: prices exclude on-road costs.
Related News & Reviews at TMR ▼
- Fabia news and reviews | Skoda news and reviews
- Light Car news and reviews | Enthusiast | Sports Cars
Filed under: Featured, wagon, Skoda, petrol, dsg, hot hatch, 2012, turbocharged, hatch, automatic, News, fwd, sport, performance, fabia, skoda fabia, lifestyle, skoda fabia rs, fabia rs, skoda rs, light, Advice, special-featured, enthusiast, 4cyl, 5door, 7a, 5seat, available