TMR Team | Jun 1, 2012

Within memory of him delivering the beleaguered team's first victory for more than seven years, Williams has expressed disappointment in Pastor Maldonado.

After soaring from pole to victory in Barcelona, breakthrough winner Maldonado suffered a horror Monaco GP two weeks later.

The Venezuelan was pushed ten places down the grid for apparently colliding deliberately with Sergio Perez in practice, and at the start of the race got caught up in the first lap chaos.

"The car was good enough for a P4 or P5 qualifying position and our race pace was also good so it is disappointing not to have come away from this event with a decent haul of points," said Williams' chief engineer Mark Gillan.

When asked about Maldonado's crash with Perez, he insisted: "I think that the incident was avoidable and therefore disappointing and that the penalty was therefore understandable."

And even in light of Maldonado's Barcelona triumph, the Oxfordshire based team's disappointment is also understandable, given the competitiveness of the Renault-powered FW34.

German magazine Auto Motor und Sport cited "GPS" evidence in claiming that the Williams and the Sauber are the best cars in the 2012 field when it comes to aerodynamics, based on data from Barcelona's demanding turns 3 and 9.

And at Monaco, Sauber's Perez recorded not only the fastest lap of the race, but "for long periods he was the fastest driver on the track".

"This clearly shows what we can achieve if everything goes right for us," said the Swiss team's boss. "Now it is up to the entire team to turn our opportunities into success."

Journalist Michael Schmidt said: "With Fernando Alonso, Sebastian Vettel or Lewis Hamilton in the cockpit, Williams or Sauber would probably be leading the championship."

The pressure is high, therefore, on the surprise favourites' drivers.

"The team (Williams) are looking forward to Montreal as we believe that we should be strong again, but we need to deliver in both qualifying and the race," Gillan insisted.

(GMM)

 

Organisers reject Ecclestone's New Jersey doubts

Organisers of next year's inaugural New Jersey street race have once again dismissed claims the event is in doubt.

Bernie Ecclestone said last month that the American Grand Prix could be pushed back to 2014.

And the F1 chief executive repeated his doubts this week, revealing the organisers are having trouble with "funds" and had therefore missed deadlines in the contract.

But when asked about Ecclestone's latest comments, a spokesman for the race, which would be played out amid the famous Manhattan skyline, insisted preparations are "precisely on schedule".

According to njbiz.com, he added that organisers are "still on track for a June 2013 race".

The spokesman added: "We don't comment on our contractual relationship with Formula One or its details."

The land that will be used for the race is co-owned by Roseland Property Co., whose boss Carl Goldberg said he had "heard nothing to suggest that there's going to be a delay from any of the American promoters".

He added there is "a significant amount of time and money being invested, all pointed to a first race in 2013."

Goldberg said Ecclestone's comments are "disconcerting" in light of the money, time and manpower invested so far.

(GMM)

Get the best deal on this car!
Get a great deal from our national accredited supply network. Fill in the form or call 1300 438 639
 
Name required
Last Name should be a hidden field. Please delete if you are a real person.
Valid Phone required
Valid Postcode required
Valid Email required
Thank you for your enquiry.
One of our accredited supply network will be in touch in the next 24 hours.