F1: Di Resta 'On Radar' Before Schu's Merc Talks

Mike Stevens | May 22, 2012
  • Di Resta 'on radar' before Schu's Merc talks
  • Heidfeld not giving up on F1 career
  • Ferrari 'fine' after Italian earthquake

Di Resta 'on radar' before Schu's Merc talks

May 21 (GMM) Paul di Resta is at the front of the queue should Mercedes need to replace Michael Schumacher.

That was the claim on Monday of Nick Fry, the chief executive of the German carmaker's UK-based F1 team.

Seven-time world champion Schumacher's existing three-year contract expires at the end of this season.

"Paul's on our radar," Fry is quoted by the Telegraph.

Scot di Resta, 26, has impressed since debuting for Mercedes-powered Force India in 2011. He entered F1 as the reigning DTM champion, driving for Mercedes.

"He has done a fantastic job, he's a nice guy, he's a great team player and he would be one of the drivers undoubtedly that, if Michael were to decide he didn't want to continue, we would look at," Fry added.

"We haven't reached that time in our thinking yet, but we have all got a lot of admiration for Paul."

(GMM)

Heidfeld not giving up on F1 career

May 21 (GMM) Nick Heidfeld insists he has not yet called time on his F1 career.

Never a race winner, the now 35-year-old was a highly respected F1 regular dating back to 2000, scoring 13 podiums and driving for teams including Williams, Sauber and - as recently as 2011 - Renault (now Lotus).

But his latest foray is endurance sports car racing, giving the impression that German Heidfeld has acknowledged his F1 career is over.

"You'd think that, but it's not the case," he insisted on Monday to Auto Motor und Sport.

"Of course it's not easy to find a place, otherwise I'd be there already. I'm having quite a lot of fun in sports cars and we'll just have to see what the future holds."

Heidfeld admits it has been "very difficult" to accept that, in 2012 at least, he is no longer an F1 driver.

But he is still an avid fan. Commenting on the topsy-turvy season seen so far, with five different winners, Heidfeld enthused: "It's incredible.

"Even the teams I think don't really know what's going on. It's most enjoyable for the viewers and I think also for many of the teams, who know that they have a good chance every now and then.

"That's unlike the past few years, when only Red Bull and maybe McLaren could win and the rest are fighting for the lower places."

Heidfeld also commented on his countryman Michael Schumacher's widely reported recent criticism of Pirelli's difficult 2012 tyres.

"He complained a little bit more than normal and that will always be cooked hotter than if someone else had said it," said Heidfeld.

"Of course, as a driver, you always want better tyres, but as always you have to adapt to the situation. Sometimes it works out well for you, sometimes less."

Finally, he was asked who will lift the crown in 2012, answering simply: "Lewis Hamilton."

(GMM)

Ferrari 'fine' after Italian earthquake

Ferrari's headquarters in Maranello have not been damaged by the major earthquake in Italy's Emilia-Romagna region.

There were reports of deaths, injuries and levelled buildings caused by the magnitude-6.0 quake.

But a spokeswoman for Ferrari said via email that the famous formula one team and sports carmaker "is fine".

And the team said on Twitter: "Everything looks ok here in Maranello after tonight's earthquake. Very sad for all the victims."

(GMM)

Follow Mike Stevens on Google+

Filed under: f1, Racing, michael schumacher, mercedes f1, News, paul di resta, enthusiast

Leave a comment:

Required
Required
Enter comment here.
    Get the Latest

    advertisement