If you're a JDM nut just looking for an excuse to run for the land of the rising sun, this is it: the Subaru WRX STI S206, the latest in the special S20X line.
As a special-edition offering unique to the Japanese market, the S206 - "the crown of STI tuned cars" - pushes all the right buttons.
Limited to 300 units, the S206 packs a list of special bits and tweaks longer than we can fit into a single paragraph. Highlights include Bilstein dampers and STI coil springs, aluminium "S206" 19-inch BBS wheels and a flexible front tower bar and draw stiffener.
The car's boxer engine has come in for a workout too, gaining a revised weight balance between the pistons, connecting rods and crankshaft, along with a tweaked ECU, an S206-specific twin-scroll ball-bearing turbo and a new reduced back-pressure exhaust.
With all that, power for the S206 is listed at 239kW and 431Nm - compared to the Australian model's 221kW and 407Nm.
On the styling and aero front, the WRX STI S206 gets a low front lip and an S206-badged grille, along with front fender vents, a big rear wing and new side sills.
For the special 'NBR Challenge Pack' version, limited to 100 units, there's also a carbon-fibre roof.
Inside, there's S206 Recaro seats with Alcantara trim and silver stitch, red seatbelts, leather sports steering-wheel and a host of S206-specific highlights.
Related News & Reviews at TMR ▼
- Impreza news and reviews
- WRX news and reviews
- WRX STI news and reviews
- Subaru news and reviews
Specs as listed by Subaru:
- STI tuned Bilstein upside down strut and STI coil springs for front suspension
- STI tuned Bilstein damper and STI coil springs for rear suspension
- S206 BBS designed 19-inch x 8 1/2J forged aluminum wheels (silver)
- Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/35ZR19(93Y) tires
- Brembo 6-pot silver colored brake caliper with STI logo and 18-inch 2piece type drilled disk rotors for front brake
- Brembo 4-pot silver colored brake caliper with STI logo and 18-inch drilled disk rotors for rear brake
- STI designed flexible front strut tower brace
- STI designed flexible draw stiffener, front
- STI designed flexible support, rear
- STI designed support, front kit
- STI designed lateral rink with pillow ball bush (front inside, rear inside)
- S206 engine balanced with STI
- STI designed S206 ECU (Engine Control Unit)
- S206 twin scroll ball bearing turbocharger
- STI designed S206 sport muffler with lowered back pressure exhaust
- Large intercooler with S206 logo
- STI designed strengthened silicon intake duct
- STI designed air cleaner element
- S206 multi mode VDC (Vehicle Dynamics Control)
- S206 RECARO designed front bucket seat
- S206 seat fabric, ALCANTARA® with black punching / red base, leather seat support (dark gray) with silver stitch
- S206 door trim & centered arm rest (black ALCANTARA® with silver stitch)
- S206 dark red colored seat belt
- S206 silver side sill plate with S206 logo (front)
- S206 leather lapped steering wheel with STI logo and silver stitch
- STI designed leather shift knob with STI logo and leather shift boot
- S206 leather side brake boot
- STI designed push engine start switch (red with STI logo)
- S206 serial number plate (console, engine compartment)
- S206 large front under spoiler
- S206 front fender outlet grille
- Aluminum front hood
- STI designed trunk lip spoiler
- S206 badges on front grille and rear gate
- STI designed side garnish with STI logo (black metallic)
Exclusive for NBR CHALLENGE PACKAGE
- Carbon roof
- S206 dry carbon rear spoiler (2 angle adjustable with S206 logo)
- BBS designed 19-inch x 8 1/2J cast aluminum wheels (black)
- S206 Nürburgring Challenge sticker (rear)
- S206 red side sill plate with S206 logo (front)