Two years since it dropped its ageing 2.7 litre V6, petrol power has returned to Hyundai's Santa Fe line-up in the form of the front-wheel-drive 3.5 litre V6 petrol SLX.
The addition of front-wheel-drive and a petrol powertrain expands the Santa Fe range beyond the existing all-wheel-drive, 2.2 litre R-Series diesel line-up.
The petrol engine produces 204kW and 335Nm of torque, sending power to the front wheels through a six-speed automatic transmission.
Fuel consumption is listed as 9.6 l/100km on the combined cycle - compared to 6.7 l/100km for the 145kW/436Nm 2.2 litre diesel. Towing capacity remains unchanged however, allowing 2000kg braked and 750kg unbraked.
Importantly, the new petrol FWD variants - available in each trim grade - also cut as much as $3000 from the price of entry into the Santa Fe line-up.
Entering below the 2.2 litre CRDi diesel SLX, the 3.5 litre V6 petrol SLX is now just $36,990 - $1000 cheaper than its diesel counterpart.
Specifications for the FWD petrol variants remain identical to their AWD diesel equivalents, with seating for seven, along with driver and front passenger airbags, dual side front airbags and front and rear passenger side curtain airbags ( through to the third row).
- 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe SLX 3.5 V6 auto - $36,990
- 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe Elite 3.5 V6 auto - $40,990
- 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander 3.5 V6 auto - $45,490
- 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe SLX 2.2 manual - $37,990
- 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe SLX 2.2 auto - $39,990
- 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe Elite 2.2 auto - $43,990
- 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander 2.2 auto - $48,490
Note: all prices are Manufacturer’s List Price and do not include dealer delivery or on-road costs.