Mike Stevens | Apr 14, 2011

A priority for Red Bull is getting Mark Webber into the championship fight, insists team boss Christian Horner.

Webber's 2011 campaign had a horror opening salvo in Melbourne, but he looked more competitive at Sepang until suffering a KERS failure at the start of the race.

In the sister RB7, teammate Sebastian Vettel is now enjoying a clear championship lead after back-to-back wins from pole.

Horner told Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera: "The only problem is how to get Mark Webber back in the picture.

"He is one of the strongest drivers and I know he will get back," added the Briton, who praised Webber's recovery drive to fourth with a four-stop strategy in Malaysia.

However, there is no doubt that the men of the moment at Red Bull are Vettel and car designer Adrian Newey, but Horner did not want to say which of them is most important to the team.

"There is no answer to that. We need them both," said Horner.

As for the goal of more wins and titles, he explained: "We want to do it in our own way and create a legacy for Red Bull.

"Lewis Hamilton was quite right when he said that we're only a drinks manufacturer. So far so good."

"It's great to win, just like Benetton, which was only a jumper maker," he smiled.

(GMM)

 

Texas Track Named 'Circuit Of The Americas'

The venue for next year's inaugural US grand prix in Texas has been officially named 'Circuit of the Americas'.

The news was announced at the same time as a MotoGP event for 2013 was added to the new Austin track's calendar.

"We are building a destination for entertainment and business, not simply a race track, and this brand reflects that entire idea," said promoter Tavo Hellmund in a press conference.

The $250 million facility is currently under construction and scheduled for completion in mid-2012.

(GMM)

 

Bahrain Steps Up Push For New 2011 GP Date

Bahrain officials are "stepping up" efforts to see the island Kingdom's Formula One race rescheduled in 2011.

Although international media reports say protesters are still at loggerheads with the government, F1 track chief Sheikh Salman bin Isa Al Khalifa said the time is right to begin thinking about a new date for an event this season.

The political situation caused the 2011 season opener at Sakhir to be postponed, and the FIA subsequently imposed a May 1 deadline for a possible rescheduling.

"Now that security has prevailed and normal life has returned to Bahrain, thanks to the wise leadership, we are stepping up contacts to host the race anew," the Sheikh told the Bahrain News Agency.

(GMM)

 

Hulkenberg Eyes 2012 Force India Race Seat

Nico Hulkenberg this week reiterated his hope of returning to the F1 grid next year with Force India.

The 23-year-old German and 2010 Interlagos polesitter had a promising debut last season but was replaced by Williams for 2011 with Venezuelan Pastor Maldonado.

In Bangalore on Tuesday for the launch of the Silverstone based team's new Indian driver academy, Hulkenberg told DNA India that he wants to turn the disappointment of losing his Williams drive into a Force India race seat in 2012.

This year, the German appears in the VJM04 cockpit for the initial Friday morning practice session at every grand prix.

"I want to race," he said. "On the other side, I am happy that Force India have picked me up. It has given me a chance to prove my talent and deliver.

"Hopefully, they can give me a chance to drive (race) next year," said Hulkenberg.

He said he was disappointed to lose his seat at Williams but understands the British team's need to raise its budget with "a pay-driver".

"They had always mentioned that they see me as a long term driver with the team and they never mentioned that they were unhappy with my performance," said Hulkenberg.

"At the end of the year, the story developed that they were losing sponsors and needed money, and they needed a pay-driver. Then came Pastor Maldonado," he added.

(GMM)

Follow Mike Stevens on Google+