Mike Stevens | Jan 18, 2011

Chief Executive Officer of Group Lotus, Dany Bahar, is convinced the Lotus branding debacle in Formula One will not see the inside of the London High Court.

It remains a remarkable tangle however. After his outfit's 'Lotus Racing' licence was revoked, Tony Fernandes bought the 'Team Lotus' name just as Group Lotus was launching plans to enter F1 in 2011.

The parties failed to agree a solution, meaning that at present there will be two Renault-powered Lotus teams on the grid this year pending the outcome of a court ruling.

The situation revved up over the weekend when the black and gold livery for next year's Lotus Renault GP was launched, just as Team Lotus revealed a video showing the re-branding of its Hingham factory with the famous CACB logo.

"I don't think it will be a matter solved by English courts," Bahar told the BBC. "I think it will be solved before that.

"But if we have to go the legal way, we will -- and our shareholders will support that," he added, referring to the Malaysian carmaker Proton.

The situation was triggered by Bahar arriving at Lotus with his own plans for F1 long after the Lotus Racing naming licence had been issued for Fernandes.

"When I arrived ... we had our own ideas and plans and that's nobody's fault, not the shareholders' and not Mr Fernandes' fault," he said.

"I think with any business relationship, you start on good terms and if it turns out to be beneficial for both parties, you continue.

"If not, you just stop -- it's like in a marriage. And this one turned out to be an unsuccessful relationship," explained Bahar.

The famous marque's motor sport boss Claudio Berro hinted that it will not be Group Lotus that is backing down.

"We build cars and we are shareholders of Renault F1, so we have the right to put our name on the team. Fernandes does not, because we have revoked his licence," Italiaracing quoted Berro as saying.

(GMM)

 

Ferrari Duo Bemoans Modern Driving Task

Ferrari's racing duo has bemoaned the increasingly complex task of driving a Formula One car.

With cockpits already featuring numerous buttons, displays, lights, switches and levers, the drivers' task will be further complicated in 2011.

Among the new regulations is the return of KERS, requiring drivers to prepare and deploy the energy boost, and an adjustable rear wing that can be triggered for overtaking when a cockpit light shines.

"Without realising it, we're losing the focus on driving," said Fernando Alonso last week at the Italian team's media getaway.

Also in the Italian Dolomites, his teammate Felipe Massa agreed: "We have so many things to do on the steering wheel but we still need to drive the car.

"We can do it, but from a driver's point of view it's not fantastic."

(GMM)

Get the best deal on this car!
Get a great deal from our national accredited supply network. Fill in the form or call 1300 438 639
 
Name required
Last Name should be a hidden field. Please delete if you are a real person.
Valid Phone required
Valid Postcode required
Valid Email required
Thank you for your enquiry.
One of our accredited supply network will be in touch in the next 24 hours.
 
Follow Mike Stevens on Google+