Mike Stevens | Jan 6, 2011

On day 12 of Operation Safe Arrival, New South Wales police have confirmed that while the number of breath tests conducted in this year's campaign has increased to 385,498 - up from 323,193 last year - the number of infringements has fallen.

Some 835 motorists have been nabbed in the past 12 days for drink-driving, 152 fewer than last year.

A total of 1029 non-speed-related traffic infringement notices were issued on Tuesday, compared to 1,236 for the same period last year.

The state's 2011 road toll has risen to ten, although police have noted that this figure is eight fewer than for the same period in 2010.

NSW Traffic Services Commander, Assistant Commissioner John Hartley, today pleaded for motorists to slow down and take regular breaks.

“I am urging and warning drivers to be particularly careful on the roads during these busy times.

“The roads north and south out of Sydney have seen increases in traffic with people heading away on their holidays yet motorists are still risking life and limb to save time,” Assistant Commissioner Hartley said.

In the past 24 hours, the Pacific Highway has seen two fatalities and seven injuries, including the death of a 16 year-old boy and a 23 year-old woman from Victoria.

“In the northern region I have deployed 12 police motorcycles and a number of highway patrol vehicles throughout the duration of Operation Safe Arrival.

“These officers are there to maintain a significant police presence but we cannot be around every corner and on every stretch of road. It’s time motorists started taking responsibility or face the real possibility that it could be you, one of your passengers, a family member or friend seriously injured or killed,” Assistant Commissioner Hartley said.

Follow Mike Stevens on Google+