Mike Stevens | Dec 20, 2010

The number of lives lost on New South Wales roads this year sits at 413 today, 26 less than at the same point in 2009, but NSW Police say the number is still too high.

“With the peak holiday traffic period fast approaching, I’m urging motorists to slow down, drive responsibly and not get behind the wheel after having a drink,” Deputy Commissioner (Field Operations) Dave Owens said today.

“It’s a simple strategy to make sure you arrive home safely this Christmas and New Year period."

To help keep NSW motorists safe through the Christmas and New Year celebrations period, the state's police will kick off Operation Safe Arrival on December 24, which will run through to January 7.

Police will target speeding, fatigue, drink and drug driving, seatbelt use, mobile phone use and other types of dangerous driving.

“As well as the 413 people that have died on our roads this year, there have been more than 21,000 people who have been injured in more than 16,000 crashes, and some of those will suffer lifetime complications from those injuries,” Deputy Commissioner Owens said.

“But many of these crashes could have been avoided, simply by motorists driving to the conditions, paying attention on the road and staying within the constraints of the NSW road rules.”

During last year’s Safe Arrival campaign, there were more than 2400 major crashes resulting in 23 deaths and injuries to 850 people over the two-week period.

Offences during the period included:

  • 15,180 people caught speeding (not including those caught by fixed speed cameras)
  • 1375 people caught drink driving
  • 1186 people given tickets for restraint offences
  • 18,348 people issued with other traffic infringement notices
Follow Mike Stevens on Google+