Mike Stevens | Nov 10, 2010

As he prepares to commit for another year to world rallying, Kimi Raikkonen insists he does not regret his decision to leave Formula One.

A year after leaving Ferrari to join Citroen in the world rally championship, the 2007 World Champion was linked with a return to F1 with Renault.

With that move ruled out, however, reports suggest Raikkonen is recommitting to rallying for 2011, despite some critics suggesting he has crashed too much and not been fast enough.

"Rally is like a national sport in Finland," he is quoted by L'Equipe.

"I grew up following all the great drivers. I have always wanted to try this sport; it was not a rash decision.

"At the end of last year," Raikkonen explained, "I had an opportunity and seized it, and I have really enjoyed it.

"Few people have the chance to do rallying at this level and I want to put into practice everything I learned this year," he added.

(GMM)

Barrichello Confident But 'Contract Not Signed' Yet

Rubens Barrichello is sitting tight in the hope that Williams will call him back for another season in 2011.

The Brazilian veteran has had a solid first season with the British team, but confirmation of the 2011 driver line-up is on hold while Williams tests Venezuelan pay-driver Pastor Maldonado next week in Abu Dhabi.

"My future depends on Williams," 38-year-old Barrichello is quoted by Globo Esporte in Portuguese.

"I want to stay and we are working on the car for next year, and after Abu Dhabi we will test with the new (Pirelli) tyres."

He said he will be disappointed if his tenure at Williams ends after just one season.

"My project with Williams was not for one year only," Barrichello said on SporTV.

"I've been talking about my contract for a long time. I cannot announce anything, because it is not signed.

"But I am working on the car for next year already. I don't see myself leaving," he said.

(GMM)

Follow Mike Stevens on Google+