Mike Stevens | Jun 8, 2010

The Australian New Car Assessment Program (ANCAP) has received a huge funding boost this week, with the Federal Government announcing a $5 million dollar injection into the independent crash safety testing group.

According to Transport Minister Anthony Albanese, the funding comes as part of a move to drive the improvement of vehicle safety.

“We are committed to improving safety on our roads and cutting the carnage through a multi-layered approach – safer vehicles, safer drivers, and safer roads,” Mr Albanese said.

“This is one more step we are taking to save lives and prevent injury on our roads."

Mr Albanese said that by increasing the number of vehicles tested, manufacturers will be encouraged to offer the safest vehicles possible, while also increasing the public's expectation that vehicles will have an ANCAP rating.

In June last year, the Federal Government announced that it would make Electronic Stability Control mandatory on all vehicles sold new in Australia from November 2011.

ANCAP Chairman Lauchlan McIntosh said the Government's involvement would increase both the number of vehicles tested, and the amount of safety information available to consumers.

“ANCAP is now working closely with most sections of the automotive industry in ensuring safety is built into new cars on the Australian market – this partnership with the Government will allow us to ensure the latest safety features are available for new car buyers," Mr McIntosh said in a statement.

As the 2009 crash safety results show, the number of 5-Star cars in Australia is on the rise, with almost two-thirds of vehicles tested in 2009 (33 out of 51) by ANCAP and Euro NCAP earning the top score.

Follow Mike Stevens on Google+