Mike Stevens | Jun 2, 2010

Helmut Marko no longer thinks Mark Webber was to blame for the collision that foiled Red Bull's one-two finish in the recent Turkish grand prix.

Marko, the energy drinks company's motor sport advisor, had initially blamed the Australian driver for the crash, despite most experts, pundits and former drivers believing his teammate Sebastian Vettel had turned into the side of Webber's sister RB6.

In an interview provided by the Milton Keynes-based team on Tuesday, team boss Christian Horner said he blames both drivers for the crash.

"Having looked at all the information it's clear that it was a racing accident that shouldn't have happened between two teammates.

"After looking at all the facts that weren't available immediately after the race, Dr Marko also fully shares this view," Horner added.

But while most non-Red Bull team members thought 22-year-old Vettel was to blame, Horner said he thought it "acceptable" that the German tried the move on lap 40.

"Ultimately both drivers should have given each other more room," he said, confirming that Webber had been asked to switch to a fuel-saving engine mode whilst Vettel was able to run at full speed for a couple more laps.

"He (Vettel) appeared to be the faster of the two Red Bull drivers. Had the incident not have happened, I believe we would have achieved a one-two finish," added Horner.

(GMM)

 

Ferrari Not Giving Up On 2010 Car

Ferrari is not prepared to give up on its 2010 car, despite falling off the pace last weekend in Turkey.

Fernando Alonso failed to make the Q3 qualifying session at Istanbul Park, while Felipe Massa was the Maranello team's highest placed finisher -- behind the Red Bulls, the McLarens, the Mercedes and the Renault of Robert Kubica.

Ferrari's F10 will feature a specific low-downforce bodywork package in Montreal next weekend, before a big update of changes is debuted at Valencia later this month.

Spain's AS newspaper believes the Valencia update will include a major repackaging of the rear end and exhaust system.

But team boss Stefano Domenicali denies that if the upgrade fails to pull Ferrari back to the front of the grid, Ferrari will begin to focus on 2011.

"We are not going to stop developing this car - we are not throwing away these races so far," he is quoted as saying.

Even though the Italian media is decrying Ferrari's "disaster" and "crisis", Alonso is only 14 points off the lead of the drivers' championship.

Domenicali insisted: "We will continue working on the F10 until the end of the season."

He told lne.es: "The championship is still open and we have seen that anything can happen in the races. We will not give up."

Spaniard Alonso agrees that Ferrari is still in a position to fight for the title, arguing that no matter how good the Valencia upgrade, it will not be enough to close the gap to the front.

"We know that McLaren and Red Bull are very far away and we don't know if that's enough. We have to work hard," he said.

He told La Razon: "We don't know how long it is going to take, but the truth is that we are almost eight tenths from Red Bull and six or seven tenths from McLaren, and these developments (for Valencia) are not going to give us that much."

Get the best deal on this car!
Get a great deal from our national accredited supply network. Fill in the form or call 1300 438 639
 
Name required
Last Name should be a hidden field. Please delete if you are a real person.
Valid Phone required
Valid Postcode required
Valid Email required
Thank you for your enquiry.
One of our accredited supply network will be in touch in the next 24 hours.
 
Follow Mike Stevens on Google+