Mike Stevens | Apr 1, 2010

THE FIA is currently not investigating the legality of Red Bull's Formula One car.

After the Renault-powered RB6 dominated qualifying in Melbourne last Saturday, McLaren's Martin Whitmarsh hinted the car could be concealing a controversial ride-height adjustment system.

Mercedes team boss Ross Brawn then called for the governing body to look into the matter "just in fairness to Red Bull" due to the "accusations".

"I think it is necessary for the FIA just to clarify where we stand," he added.

Red Bull's Christian Horner, having denied the Adrian Newey-designed car features the system, said he would welcome the move.

The Swiss newspaper Blick, whose F1 correspondent is the vastly experienced Roger Benoit, reported this week that the FIA "is now investigating" whether the Red Bull is somehow adjusting its ride-height depending on the amount of fuel in the tank.

"Whether there is a decision before the Malaysian grand prix is open," read the report.

But according to Germany's Auto Motor und Sport, an FIA spokesman said in Sepang, "There is no investigation."

With rumours insisting that the Red Bull car is somehow regulating its ride height between qualifying and the race, the report said an investigation will only occur if a team lodges an official protest.

(GMM)

 

Piquets Launch Libel Suit Against Briatore

Sacked Renault driver Nelson Piquet, and his triple world championship-winning father of the same name, have launched a libel court action against Flavio Briatore.

According to the Daily Mail, the pair are seeking 200,000 pounds sterling, with the team's ousted boss Briatore - who was also 24-year-old Piquet's manager - summoned by the High Court in London.

The suit centres around the Singapore race-fixing scandal known in F1 circles as 'crashgate', where Piquet deliberately crashed during the 2008 Singapore GP and blew the whistle on his co-conspirators a year later when subsequently fired for his lack of performance.

The British newspaper report said the Piquets' libel claim involves a press release which accused the father and son of giving false evidence to the FIA and blackmailing Renault F1.

The press release was issued by Renault F1 in September of last year, revealing that the team and Briatore would pursue Piquet criminally in France and Britain.

Renault, who ousted Briatore when it was clear that Piquet's accusations were not false, withdrew the legal threats but did not apologise.

The French carmaker then sold most of its Enstone based team to Genii Capital, a Luxembourg based investment company.

"Given Renault F1's failure to accept the Piquets' invitation to withdraw the allegations and apologise, they feel they have no other choice but to demonstrate the falsity of these allegations in court," said the Piquets' lawyer Dominic Crossley.

(GMM)

Follow Mike Stevens on Google+