| Feb 26, 2010

Feb.25 (GMM) BRUNO SENNA'S SEAT at Campos may not be as safe as was previously thought.

In the wake of the Spanish team's Bernie Ecclestone-aided takeover by Jose Ramon Carabante, it was feared the Brazilian might lose his racing role to a better-funded driver.

But on Sunday the 26-year-old nephew of the great Ayrton Senna met with Carabante and new team boss Colin Kolles and was reportedly told he will not be asked to safeguard his seat by securing more sponsors.

But, officially, Campos' stance has been that it will only confirm its full driver lineup in "due course".

And Kolles told the BBC on Thursday: "We will make an announcement on drivers very soon."

It is strongly rumoured that Karun Chandhok and USF1's Jose Maria Lopez are in pole position for the seats.

Kolles, formerly team boss at Force India and the Silverstone based team's previous guises, would not confirm that talks with Argentine Lopez and USF1 backer Chad Hurley are taking place.

But the BBC said Charlotte based USF1 is all but dead, with only a team manager and a single mechanic ready to front the race team.

Sporting director Peter Windsor was unavailable for comment.

The report said talk of a merger between USF1 and Campos is wide of the mark, but quoted Kolles as being bullish about the team's hopes of making the Bahrain grid.

"We are working flat out and will be in Bahrain," said the German-Romanian, who is also a dentist.

"I know how to run a team that were struggling. We will be in Bahrain but it will be hard work," 42-year-old Kolles, who has reportedly also brought some funding to his new role, added.

 

Alguersuari Feels Ready For F1

Feb.25 (GMM) WITH THE TURMOIL of his mid-season 2009 debut now behind him, Jaime Alguersuari feels ready to show the world his real talent.

"Last year was what it was, I could not do more," said the young Spaniard, who was called up to replace Toro Rosso's lacklustre Sebastien Bourdais in July of last year.

But he too struggled to match the pace of his teammate Sebastien Buemi, and until very recently it was unclear if team owner Red Bull would also oust Alguersuari.

Looking back on his initial eight grands prix, the teenager told Spain's Diario Sport: "I was an employee of Red Bull and could say neither yes or no (to replacing Bourdais).

"For this year I have been able to train properly and develop physically as a driver and psychologically as a person, which is what I needed to do."

El Mundo newspaper quoted him as saying: "I'm no longer a soldier thrown onto the beaches of Normandy. Now I can go onto the track and complete two grand prix distances in a day of testing, as I did at Jerez."

Ahead of his stint in the STR5 at Barcelona on Thursday, he believes he could be the "surprise" of the forthcoming season.

He said his feeling so far at the wheel of the 2010 car, which is the first designed entirely by the Faenza based team since the Minardi takeover, is "very positive".

"It gives me the impression that it is very competitive and reliable," said Alguersuari, albeit acknowledging that the four teams Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren and Mercedes are out in front.

Get the best deal on this car!
Get a great deal from our national accredited supply network. Fill in the form or call 1300 438 639
 
Name required
Last Name should be a hidden field. Please delete if you are a real person.
Valid Phone required
Valid Postcode required
Valid Email required
Thank you for your enquiry.
One of our accredited supply network will be in touch in the next 24 hours.