Mike Stevens | Oct 20, 2009

BRITAIN'S JENSON BUTTON says he is ready to commence contract talks with Brawn GP after clinching the World Championship at the Brazilian Grand Prix.

Button is uncontracted for the 2010 season after accepting a cut-price one year deal to remain with the squad following the withdrawal of Honda from Formula 1 in December 2008.

But after claiming the driver’s crown, the 29-year-old is reportedly keen to receive a pay rise commensurate with his heightened status and earn a pay packet in the vicinity of £8 million a season.

However, with all teams slashing costs as part of FOTA’s resource restriction agreement, Brawn GP appears hesitant to meet Button’s initial demands.

“I want to be here next year and I want to be with a team that can challenge for victories like this season and I think Brawn can do that,” Button said.

“We have some sensationally talented people in our team. It might not be big like some other teams but that will be a benefit to us next season as the teams have to get smaller.

"We are in a great position. We have worked on this year's car as much as we possibly could but we have also worked on next year's car. This isn't it for Brawn GP for sure.”

f1_kimi-raikkonen_china

Meanwhile, former World Champion Kimi Raiikkonen has rejected a contract offer from Toyota as he continues his search for seat next season.

Raikkonen had been expected to sign for McLaren, but the Woking-based outfit has baulked at the Ferrari driver’s pay demands, prompting the Finn to consider other options.

Toyota boss John Howett said his team remains interested in the Finn but cannot afford to engage in protracted negotiations.

“We don't play too many games. We put on the table what we can afford and what we think is a serious offer in the current market,” he said to Reuters.

“I think genuinely we could work well with him, give him a car that's quick.”

Follow Mike Stevens on Google+