Mike Stevens | Aug 18, 2009

FERRARI DRIVER FELIPE MASSA is hoping to make his comeback from injury at the Brazilian Grand Prix in October after making rapid progress in recovering from head trauma he suffered in Hungary last month.

Massa was admitted to intensive care and placed in an induced coma after he was struck on the head by a 1kg spring while travelling at nearly 300km/h.

Knocked unconscious by the blow, Massa then careened straight off the race track and into the barriers, in a scene eerily reminiscent of the accident which claimed the life of Brazilian compatriot Ayrton Senna in 1994.

While Massa was expected to be out for the rest of the season, the 2008 championship runner-up hopes to return in time for the Brazilian race at Interlagos in Sao Paolo.

He told Brazilian television station Globo: "I cannot wait to race again, I hope I can do the Brazilian Grand Prix. But it's not for me to say, it's for the doctors, and I have to show I can be ready for the grand prix."

In the aftermath of his accident, Massa seemed to acknowledge the spectators and waiting television crews by raising his arm as he was carted into an ambulance.

However, the 28-year-old revealed he has no memory of the events which transpired after his accident, saying it was as if he were asleep for an extended period.

"I lived the accident, but I slept. I didn't see the spring. Many people ask me: 'the spring came, did you not see it?' But I didn't see it hit me, I didn't see anything,” he said.

“The spring just hit my head and I slept. The car crashed and I carried on accelerating but it almost wasn't me that was doing it. It looks like I move my hands, but I was sleeping.

"When I woke in hospital, I felt that everything was working. I saw that my eye was really really big, but I was breathing and thinking. I could move my arms, I could move my legs, I could move everything."

Massa will be replaced by long time Ferrari test driver Luca Badoer at Valencia after Michael Schumacher was forced to pull out due to a neck injury.

The German though is still rumoured to be keen on racing at the circuit where he announced his arrival to Formula 1 in spectacular style in 1991, Spa-Francorchamps in Belgium.

Follow Mike Stevens on Google+