Mike Stevens | Jul 1, 2009

FIA PRESIDENT Max Mosley claims he has been urged to stand for re-election by fellow members in response to FOTA's decision to deride the Briton as a dictator.

Mosley said certain sectors within the FIA are encouraging him to stay on in the role beyond October despite stating he would prefer to stand down.

The 69-year old believes FIA members are concerned by FOTA's attempts to interfere in the sport's governance and influence the appointment of a new president.

Mosley said FOTA's decision to declare the end of his tenure at such an early stage and mislead the media has jeopardised the progress made in the last week.

He told the Daily Mail: "They made the mistake of dancing on my grave before I was buried. It's no good the teams getting a PR agency to claim I am dead and buried when I am standing here as large as life. I am under pressure now from all over the world to stand for re-election."

FIA boss Max Mosley.
FIA boss Max Mosley.

Following a turbulant two year period, which saw him the subject of a sex scandal, and the death of his son last month, Mosley said he is now ready to stand down from the role he has held for 16 years, albeit on his terms.

"The past 16 months have been difficult. It is appalling if somebody takes some part of your life that you have always kept completely secret and puts it all over the front page of a newspaper. Yet, obviously, the death of my son was far worse. By comparison, my spats with (Luca) di Montezemolo are trivial," he said.

"However, I do not want to leave the president's office in a way where it was suggested that people from the car industry had pushed me out. If that impression is not completely dispelled, the clubs are going to insist that I stand again."

Follow Mike Stevens on Google+