Mike Stevens | Jun 16, 2009

THE FIA CLAIMS that a faction of the Formula One Teams Association has conspired to scupper attempts to reach a compromise deal before the British Grand Prix.

Motorsport’s governing body claims President Max Mosley reached a verbal agreement with FOTA representatives during a meeting last week, agreeing upon 2010 technical regulations and a decision to extend the Concorde Agreement until 2014.

"During the meeting FOTA acknowledged that the FIA wanted to encourage the introduction of new teams in the championship to maintain its vitality and economic viability in the long term," the FIA said in a statement.

"Agreement was reached on technical regulations for 2010 which offered assistance for new teams from the currently competing teams in several key areas.

"It was also agreed that the objectives of FOTA and the FIA on cost reduction were now very close and that financial experts from both sides should meet at the earliest opportunity to finalise the details.

"It was proposed by the FIA that any perceived governance and stability issues could best be eliminated by extending the 1998 Concorde Agreement until 2014 thus avoiding lengthy negotiations for a new agreement. This was well received by those present who undertook to report the suggestion to the other FOTA members."

FOTA refused to issue an immediate response to the FIA’s claims, choosing to abstain from providing comment until a later stage.

A spokesperson said: “FOTA, whilst reserving its position on the specific issues, does not intend to comment the FIA press release issued on the 15th of June and to be involved in a prolonged series of polemical statements that generate confusion and does not help create a positive environment for the ongoing contact.”

f1_fota

The FIA is also concerned by the European Car Manufacturer’s Association’s (ACEA) decision to weigh into the Formula 1 crisis after the organisation called for changes to the sport’s governance.

Responding to these moves, the FIA said: “The FIA is surprised that the European car manufacturers' association ACEA should have rejected the FIA's endeavours to reduce costs in Formula 1. By contrast, the FIA strongly endorses ACEA's call for urgent measures to return the automotive sector to health.”

Headed by Renault Chief Executive Officer Carlos Ghosn, the ACEA demanded teams receive a greater slice of the revenue raised by the sport, claiming Formula 1 cannot continue under its current management.

However, Ghosn’s presence within the organisation has led to claims he is simply using the saga as a mechanism to withdraw the French manufacturer from Formula 1.

Brawn GP boss Ross Brawn hopes the lessons learned throughout the three month long dispute will help ensure Formula 1 doesn’t again descend into farce in future.

He told the Press Association: “All of us - and I mean this collectively - have got ourselves into a situation we need to learn from.

"What we want to get back and put in place again is an agreement between the teams and the FIA on governance for the future, and how we can avoid these situations ever occurring again. I think there are still opportunities this week to resolve the issues, and if they are, then we will be happy to enter.”

Follow Mike Stevens on Google+